Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Rendering Tallow

I always buy whole cuts of meat and render the fat to make tallow. I thought I would share my process for this with you all.

After trimming and cutting my steaks I put all of the trim in a pot with a couple inches of water. I then place the pot on medium heat to bring the water to a boil.

Turn down the heat a bit to maintain a slow boil just above a simmer. The water will heat the fat and render it out slowly as it boils. Eventually the water will have evaporated and just the fat will remain. I usually let it go overnight to get the best yield I can.

Once the water has evaporated the fat will clarify and the pieces will begin to fry in the fat, I take them to a brown color and crispy texture. Now you are done.

Then strain them out and pass the tallow through a sieve, then transfer it to a container and store it in the fridge.

I like to toss the crackling in some seasoning and eat them with some hot sauce. Damn good eats.

You now have a great cooking fat for anything you would use butter or olive oil for. You can also deep fry in it if you are lucky enough to have a large enough supply of beef fat!

Now go eat a steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment